THE HOME OF GREAT ENTERTAINMENT IN GREAT YARMOUTH

St. George's Theatre, King Street, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2PG.   t: 01493 331484 e: admin@stgeorgestheatre.com
St. George's Theatre Trust is a Registered Charity, No: 1081752

About St. George's

St. George's Theatre Trust manages the theatre, plaza, and cafe bar in Great Yarmouth's historic King Street district.

We have a small professional team, assisted by a passionate and friendly army of volunteers who give up their time to work front of house, behind the bar and backstage. 

We operate as a charity, and are grateful for the generous support of our sponsors and funding from Great Yarmouth Borough Council and Norfolk County Council.

Our History

In 1711, the Borough of Great Yarmouth petitioned Parliament for an additional place of worship for the town. A site called 'The Mount' on King Street was selected and the large mound, on which a defensive cannon had been placed in 1569, was levelled.

Commissioned in 1714 by the Borough Council, the architects John Price of Richmond modelled the church on St Clement Danes by Sir Christopher Wren. The result, a monumental baroque design which goes far beyond imitation of St. Clements and is now recognised as one of the finest examples of Baroque Church architecture outside of London.

After its deconsecration in 1959, the chapel fell into disrepair, despite being listed Grade I in 1953. It is reported to have narrowly escaped demolition.

In the early 1970s, a group of dedicated local people and amateur dramatic society The Masquers, worked very hard to establish the redundant chapel as a centre for the arts and a theatre.


Many performances took place in the centre from the 1970s right up until 2006, by both local groups and professional companies.

In 2006 the building was forced to close due to severe structural defects, including an unstable tower. For the next three years, it was fenced off and shrouded in scaffolding. Its deteriorating state resulted in the chapel being declared 'at risk' by English Heritage and the local authorities until funds were found in 2009 for its restoration and conversion from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

ST George's Chapel
The start of the a long journey...
A royal inspection